Friday, September 10, 2010

Jail bird

Well, today George went to jail.

There was some kind of mix up with the water bill, so George went to talk to his agent and get him to handle the whole thing. However, the agent failed to show up to the court date and represent George, and George was trusting the agent to handle it so he didn't show up either. So, since he missed his court date and he had no representation they put out a warrant for his arrest. He found out last night, so it was a little late for him to do anything about it.

So George and I got up early and headed out at eight to the court house to let them know that George has been paying for his water, and hopefully get them to revoke his arrest warrant.

After waiting for about half an hour, we finally went in to the court so we could wait for another half an hour for them to address Georges case. Finally, George took the stand and they read him his charges. I think the only thing was not paying his water bills, but due to the wording and the African accent, I couldn't tell if there was something else. When they asked him if the charges were true or not, he said they were not true. Then without asking anything else, they sat him down for a couple of minutes then walked him out. I thought he would be coming right back in, so I stayed where I was. Then I noticed one of the other Africans waving at me. I looked at him and he pointed outside. I got up and looked out the door. Across the yard one of the guards was closing and locking the door to the cell of the jail, and George was standing inside. They both beckoned to me, so I headed over, wondering what was going on. George wanted me to pay his bail, 5000 kenyan shillings. He gave me the money, but as I went to find out where I was supposed to pay, the guard came walking back, unlocked the door, and and let George out.

It turns out that Nellie's sister, who works as a clerk there and who had been talking to George trying to help him work the whole thing out, had gotten him out without us having to pay the bail, and got him a new court date. I'm not sure exactly when it is, but I think it might be on the same day that we are supposed to be leaving, so I don't know how that will all work out. So we are really grateful for Nellie's sister, who helped us out a lot.

So that was the exciting experience for today. I hope you all had something exciting in your own day, but if you didn't then try to picture mine and have that make up for it. I can only imagine how George felt. Hope you are all having a good time. Miss everyone.



Anyway, that was a pretty exciting experience.

1 comment: