Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Running Water

Before I really begin this post, I would like anyone reading it take a moment and thank God for the little things that make life easy...like running water. In fact, that is the main thing I would like you to be thankful for. I mean, I would hope that you are grateful for a lot of other things too, but for now focus on that.

I have had the pleasure of helping George with trying to fix the pump for the water the last couple of days. It has been quite fun too.
I started helping last night, and it was a little messy. Out in the chicken coop, stepping in their poop while getting wet and trying to put everything together in a totally makeshift manner. It was like something right out of MacGyver. We were trying to connect some rubber hosing to the pump with plastic bags and rubber ties. We did it too, George is pretty good with all that kind of stuff. However, we didn't manage to get get the pump pumping water we didn't have water that night, which meant that I didn't get a shower. Go figure. I did at least get to wash my hands.

Then we went at it again this morning. Same deal, we didn't manage to fix it. Finally George said that if the plumber came we could fix it in no time. I was quick to have him call the plumber, and the rest of the travelers agreed. We had been without running water for around a day now. I'm not sure if the plumber actually showed up, but I do know that Fred came by and that in no time the water was back up and running.

However, there is still one catch. The pump pumps water from the well (at least I think it is some sort of well) to a tank above the roof, and then when the tank gets full there is supposed to be a way for the pump to stop electronically. The thing is, that doesn't work so when you hear water running out back, that means the tank is full and you need to turn the pump off. Then, once the tank is low you have to turn the pump back on. Sounds simple enough but there is a catch to that too.

If you simply turn the pump back on it won't suck water so here is what you have to do. You disconnect one of the hoses (which you will remember is tied on with Walmart bags and very stretchy rubber), siphon water until it is coming through the end of the pipe that is connected to the pump, then with the water still running connect the pipe again. That is a royal pain. And you have to do that at least once a day, probably twice. In fact, George and I are going to do it tomorrow morning. That aught to wake us up nicely.

So, all that is just to say, be grateful for dependable, running water. And take the time to come down here so that you can get an idea of what life would be like with no running water. We are lucky enough to not have to walk very far when our water cuts off, but it does give an idea of some of the difficulties facing people who don't have running water.

1 comment: