Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tonight's meeting went quite well I thought. We didn't arrive till about half an hour after we were supposed to, but this is Africa so it didn't matter. There weren't that many people there due to the time. Things here close down at dinner time, and this was right about that time so there was only about four people there. We started with praying, which was very different from our prayer. When they pray, they all pray out loud at once. It is actually kind of neat, but it is also a little hard for me to get used to.

Then Abba talked out of Psalms, talking about evil people, God, and us. It was all good, but the part that stood out to me was when he was reading one of the verses and it said basically that the evil man lays around thinking about how he can do more evil. That got me thinking. If the evil man lays around thinking about how to spread more evil, we should probably be doing the opposite.

I know that I don't spend too much time thinking about how I can do good, but maybe I would be a better man if I did. I realized that I tend to take living a good life different than everything else. If I want to get good at an instrument, sport, or anything like that I'll spend a lot of time thinking about it and practicing. There is really no other way to get better. But for some reason I expect being loving is different, and that if I really want to be that way then I will just end up being the kind of man I want to be. I don't know why I think it is different, but hearing Abba talk I realized that it would probably be a good idea to plan to do good, and think up ideas of how I could practice, and watch all the time for opportunities to be a good Christian. I've been told that before, but it was one of those things that went in one ear and out the other. Now I guess I get it.

So as a parting thought. Try spending some time thinking about how you can do good. It isn't a sin to plan to help others and be loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment