Sunday, August 15, 2010

Well, I guess when I said God can do anything, I didn't realize how much He could really do or would be willing to do. I was preparing myself to sing that song in front of all those people and I knew that I didn't have enough practice. I was so sure that I would mess up on the bridge, and I would have to walk away feeling like an idiot.

But then a miracle happened. We started the service with the choir singing, and I had to get up and sing with them. I didn't know most of the songs, so I did my best while one of the men there helped as best he could and translated the ones that were in Swahili so I could understand what they were singing about. That was all pretty fun, and then George and Abba talked. George talked a lot about not gossiping and keeping friendships strong. Abba talked about glory and power. It was all pretty good. Then George got back up and started to close. I was sure he would ask me to come up before everyone left and sing. I was getting more and more nervous as he talked, but then he ended everything, and forgot that he had wanted me to sing at the gathering. So now I have another week to practice, and I'm sure I'll do so much better than I would have done today. I'm pretty relieved.

Tomorrow we are going to go visit people, and I'm really looking forward to that. Now I will get to see how all these people live, and I'm sure that will make an impact on me. I did get to see one house today, and it was a bit of a shock. We sat in one tiny room about the size of a decent sized closet, and there was a sheet with a bed on the other side. To the best of my knowledge, that was all there was to the house. Nellie said there is a communal bathroom, so there wasn't one in the house. It kind of put into perspective for the first time exactly how much we have in America. I have heard all the stories before, but actually seeing someone living in those conditions kind of drove it all home for me. So I'm really looking forward to how tomorrow will go.

I'll make sure to take pictures to try to give everyone some kind of idea of what we are going to see, but I don't think that it will really do the trick. Anyway, I'll keep you all posted. Bye for now.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! i read it!!! i love reading what u write and how u write it. really looking forward to reading more and i promise i will check it everyday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete